About the eHealth for Mental Health in DCD Project
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
This study will involve families of children, aged 5-11 years, with a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of DCD.
Both the child, and one parent, will receive a Garmin watch to wear throughout the duration of the study.
WHAT IS THE AIM OF THE STUDY?
The aim of the study is to test a parent training program, delivered online via Facebook. The training program aims to help families improve physical activity for their child as a way to improve mental health, quality of life, and levels of attention.
WHAT WILL I BE ASKED TO DO?
Participants will be randomly allocated to an intervention or a wait-list control group (this means you will be offered the intervention group have finished it). Participants in either group will need to:
1. Agree to one parent, and your child with DCD, wearing the Garmin watch daily for 12 weeks.
2. Agree to download the designated smartphone applications to sync the watches daily.
3. Enrol in an invitation-only, private Facebook group (hidden to the public).
4. Complete some initial questionnaires and agree to complete a series of questionnaires throughout the study, as well as upload information from your activity trackers.
5. Throughout this time, you will receive various forms of information about physical activity and mental health and will be encouraged to participate in discussions/posts within the Facebook group.
WHAT WILL I RECEIVE FOR PARTICIPATING?
You and your child will receive the Garmin activity trackers to keep.
You will receive a variety of information to help you to improve your child's physical activity levels. We hope this will have a flow on effect on children's mental health.
One family each fortnight during the intervention will receive a gift voucher for active engagement in the Facebook group.